Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dinner with home made pizza

Yesterday we went to the mega mall again and picked up a few more things for my room I am renting. Here they sell fitted sheets and pillow cases, but so far we have not found flat sheets. I am not sure why they do that. So as of right now I could sleep on my bed, but would not have a sheet to cover me. At the mega mall I had Nasi (rice) Lemak with Rendang chicken. The rice is cooked in coconut milk. The Rendang chicken has lots of lemongrass with it. Then there was dried, salted anchovies ( I did not like that- it was too fishy and salty). Sambla- chili and fish paste with anchovies. It was very spicy, but good. I also had a very chocolatey cupcake for dessert. People have been impressed with how adventuresome I am when it comes to trying all this new food. Most people it takes them a long time to slowly try new dishes, but I have just jumped right in and tried new foods as much as I can. So far I have not like the anchovies but that is about it.

Last night we made dinner and had a Korean couple over. We made homemade pizza. I made mine with pesto, feta cheese, and sun dried tomatoes. The other pizza was mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, green bell peppers, mushrooms, onion, spaghetti sauce, and chicken sausage ( made out of chicken and spices). They do not have regular sausage here. The salad with romaine lettuce, cashews, pumpkins seeds, green onions, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, feta cheese. I helped make the salad too. The dressing was a ranch mix (from US) that we combined with plain yogurt. They do not have ranch or blue cheese dressing over here.It was very interesting, but nice. There were three of us Americans- My Aunt, Uncle and myself. Both my Aunt and Uncle speak Malay very well. The Korean man speaks Korean, and both English and Malay very well. I only speak English (I don't remember much German anymore, and it would not have been useful). The Korean woman speaks Korean but very little English or Malay. So my Uncle spoke mostly Malay to the couple and a little English thrown in occasionally for me. The Korean man spoke mostly Malay with a little English thrown in for me and then translated most things into Korean for his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment