Saturday, November 20, 2010

Air Supply

On Thursday November 18, 2010, I went to the Air Supply concert at the Sukpa Indoor Stadium in Kuantan, Malaysia. They had been doing a world tour and this was their last stop before they headed back to Australia. They said that they wanted to make it super special since it was their last stop on this tour. It was the Love Never Ends tour celebrating 35 years. I was with a group of ex-pats that I have met. I was with Jenny and her husband Mike and Meromie and her husband Garth. I had not met Garth before. We were behind the other group of ex-pats that we know. Bettina was there with her children and friends of theirs, I am not sure if the one guy at the end was her husband or not. Then Terry was there with her son. Then a guy who works at the same place as Terry was there.
We got a little lost on the way there. They had used google maps for directions and their Garmin but it was off slightly. We went by this place that we thought might be it, but weren't sure. We thought there might be another entrance but there wasn't so we did this huge loop, but that was ok. Then, we had to park on the street past the place and walk back. I didn't mind. Even though there is lots of seating there is not lots of parking spaces. When we got there they were selling water, and I was very glad. It was hot and humid, and I figured I wouldn't be able to bring water but hoped that they would sell some. They checked our bags to make sure we didn't have food or drinks. I showed them that I had just bought a bottle of water. They confiscated water bottles if it wasn't bought there and food. They didn't check to see if we had camera's though, and I didn't see any signs that said no cameras. They were giving free glow sticks out. Some were really big and then when they ran out of those they had smaller ones. I got a smaller one, but that is ok. I am actually going to give it to the little girl of a friend. Then we went up to our seats. They only had one narrow staircase for us to go up or down to get to the upper level. We were in the balcony section but direction in front of the stage so we could see clearly what was going on and they also had two jumbo trans.
To open the show they had this young Malaysia guy sing a song. He reminded me a little of a young Michael Jackson with his outfit and dancing. Then a Chinese young lady came and sang a song off of her album, and then an Indian lady did a song. The Indian lady reminded me of Shakira. They music sounded the same. Plus, she danced like Shakira. After they all did their individual songs then they came together and did the 1Malaysia song, that they play on the radio all the time. After that it was Air Supply.
It is all love songs, but that is ok they are really good. They did all their hits and then four from their album that came out last spring. They still have it 35 years later. They had their voices and playing and energy. They wanted us to sing with them and clap and wave our glow sticks. The two other guitarists, keyboard player, and drummer are not original, but they seemed to have just as much energy and as excited to play as the two main guys( Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock). The two main guys have always played with different groups on tour.
During one of the songs the two main guys went down on to the floor. They walked around shaking hands and letting people take pictures with them all the while singing and playing. They didn't miss a beat or a note. Graham Russell got up on one of the chairs that had been vacated when they came on to the floor and played. Then they went back up to the stage. The security followed them, but they didn't really heed them. One they got back on stage and finished the song they let people come up to the fence in front of the stage. They thought that everyone was too far away. When people came up there was a group that bought lots of bouquets of flowers to give to Air Supply. The guys comment that they were going to have to open a flower shop they didn't know what they were going to do with all of the flowers. People came up for a few songs and then went back to their seats. I am sure it got really hot up there. They played for over and hour and then came back and did an encore of several songs and then came back and did an encore with just one song called "Good-bye".
It was hot up in the balcony. I got really hot and sweaty and was glad I had the water. I could feel the air con sometimes. I think it would have helped if the person on my right would have been someone else. This guy had his legs crossed at the ankles but his ankles were pulled in so that his knees were open really wide. His leg was pushing my leg over, and I didn't have my legs spread at all. I wanted to tell him to close his legs, but he looked Chinese and wasn't sure if he spoke any English. The seats don't fold up and are just a hard molded plastic. If someone wanted to go in or out of the row the person they were trying to get around had to stand up but they couldn't back up since the bottom of the seat stuck out. Luckily I didn't have anyone that needed to get out.
I am really glad that I went. It was awesome, and I still can't believe that I am living in Malaysia and this is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment